Babe Ruth road jersey sells at auction for $5.6 million
- Rivera closes Hall induction ceremony
- Brewers' Woodruff exits, headed to IL
- Astros win 5th in row, Rangers' skid 7
- Paxton stumbles again, Yankees' run ends
- Wojciechowski helps O's 1-hit Red Sox
NEW YORK (AP) A Babe Ruth road jersey dating to 1928-30 has sold at auction for $5.6 million.
Hunt Auctions, which handled Saturday's sale, says the price breaks a record for the most expensive piece of sports memorabilia ever sold. A Ruth jersey from 1920 previously sold for $4.4 million.
The auction was conducted at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees jersey was part of a collection of items that Ruth's family put up for sale. His granddaughter, Linda Ruth Tosetti, says in a statement that a portion of the proceeds will go to charity.
Updated June 15, 2019